Our Greatest Need - New Lifestyle!
Health In Today's World
Some time ago the president of the American Medical Association was addressing a large group of heart specialists in New York City. He began his speech with these words: "Humanity's greatest need is for a new lifestyle." Even a casual look at the health habits of a majority of peoples in all nations indicate these words are indeed true. Degenerative diseases directly related to faulty habit patterns are on the rise. Heart disease, stroke, cancer, and diabetes have soared to epidemic proportions in the world.
There is a close relationship between our physical well-being and our spiritual well-being. God is deeply interested in our physical health. The apostle John states it succinctly, "Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers" (3 John 2, NKJV).
The book of Revelation clearly teaches that God's message of physical health is a significant part of His last-day message for the world.
01. What specific instructions does God give in Revelation 14:7 that includes our total lifestyle?
saying with a loud voice, “Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.”
Giving glory to God includes a complete commitment of our physical, mental, and spiritual natures to God. It involves a commitment of our entire being.
02. How do we give glory to God? Does giving glory to God have anything to do with our physical health habits?
1 Corinthians 6:19–20
19. Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
20. For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
1 Corinthians 10:31
Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
The Christian life involves the whole person. It includes the entire surrender of our bodies to God. Holiness is wholeness for God.
03. What earnest appeal does the apostle Paul make regarding our bodies?
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
04. Will Jesus' people that are awaiting His return surrender all their physical habits to Him?
1 Thessalonians 5:23
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
God desires us to be healthy. Jesus came to give us life in super abundance (John 10:10). Jesus invites us to give up whatever physical practice destroys our health and clouds our minds.
05. What does the Bible teach about the use of intoxicating drink and alcoholic beverages?
Wine is a mocker, Strong drink is a brawler, And whoever is led astray by it is not wise.
29. Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaints? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes?
30. Those who linger long at the wine, Those who go in search of mixed wine.
31. Do not look on the wine when it is red, When it sparkles in the cup, When it swirls around smoothly;
32. At the last it bites like a serpent, And stings like a viper.
33. Your eyes will see strange things, And your heart will utter perverse things.
Some Christians drink moderately and see little harm in it. But the Bible clearly teaches that 'Wine is a mocker." It deceives you. Two out of every five people who begin drinking (40 percent) end up having serious problems with alcohol. Are people who drink moderately capable of discerning when they have drunk too much? Melvin Knisley, formerly a professor at the University of South Carolina, clearly demonstrated that even moderate drinking destroys thousands of brain cells. It affects conscience, reason, and judgment. In this crisis hour of history God's people need the clearest minds to make the wisest decisions. Think of the social benefits of abstinence from alcohol. Quitting alcohol would dramatically reduce absenteeism in the workplace, fatal car accidents, and multiple marriage problems. Alcohol is often the "port of entry" for the use of mind-altering drugs and other illegal substances. Knisley's advice is sound. He unashamedly says, "The only way to deal with alcohol is to quit it cold."
06. What clear warning does God give that applies to those who defile their bodies with alcohol, drugs or tobacco?
1 Corinthians 3:16–17
16. Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
17. If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.
But there shall by no means enter it [the Heavenly Jerusalem] anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.
07. What was the original diet given to human beings by God?
And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food.
And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat;
The original diet that God gave to Adam and Eve was fruits, nuts, grains, and vegetables. Our first parents and their children ate the healthful, life-giving natural products of the earth. It was not until the time of the Flood that God gave Noah permission to eat meat.
08. How many classes of animals did Noah bring into the ark?
02. You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female;
03. also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.
The clean animals were brought into the ark by sevens to be used as sacrifices or eaten. The unclean animals were God's sewage disposal system. They entered by twos.
09. How can you tell if an animal is clean or unclean?
01. Now the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying to them,
02. “Speak to the children of Israel, saying, ‘These are the animals which you may eat among all the animals that are on the earth:
03. Among the animals, whatever divides the hoof, having cloven hooves and chewing the cud—that you may eat.
04. Nevertheless these you shall not eat among those that chew the cud or those that have cloven hooves: the camel, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you;
10. Are pigs clean or unclean? What does God say regarding the swine or pigs?
07. and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you.
08. Their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch. They are unclean to you.
God's counsel applies to all pork products, including bacon, ham, and pork-based sandwich meats. Pork is extremely high in fat, contributing to coronary artery disease. Eating contaminated pork products is a well-established cause of trichinosis. Bacon and ham cured with nitrates are seriously suspect as a contributing factor to cancer. The scientific evidence in favor of God's diet is continually growing in the 21st century.
Examples of Clean Meats:
Examples of Unclean Meats:
- Pigs and all pork products, including bacon, pork hot dogs, ham, etc
11. What general principle does God give regarding seafood?
09. These you may eat of all that are in the water: whatever in the water has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers—that you may eat.
10. But all in the seas or in the rivers that do not have fins and scales, all that move in the water or any living thing which is in the water, they are an abomination to you.
11. They shall be an abomination to you; you shall not eat their flesh, but you shall regard their carcasses as an abomination.
God's Word declares that any living creature in the sea without fins and scales is unclean. All shellfish, such as crabs, clams, oysters, shrimp, and lobsters, are scavengers. They are unclean. Since the God who made our bodies desires us to be in health, He has given us these instructions to preserve our health.
12. What amazing promise did God make to Israel if they followed His principles of health?
and said, “If you diligently heed the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the LORD who heals you.”
There is credible evidence that the Egyptians were dying of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and sexually transmitted diseases. Following God's principles of health made a dramatic difference for Israel, and following them will make a difference for us as well.
13. What does the Bible say will happen to those who continue to rebel against God by defiling their bodies in certain respects, although they know better?
“Those who sanctify themselves and purify themselves, To go to the gardens After an idol in the midst, Eating swine’s flesh and the abomination and the mouse, Shall be consumed together,” says the LORD.
14. What Bible promise does God give to those who desire victory over physical habits that have defeated them for years?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
15. Where does all power for victory come from? How do I receive it?
But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:
Although we may feel weak, in Christ we are strong. God's promise is sure. The power of Christ is stronger than our physical desires or cravings. In Jesus we can be overcomers!
Whatever your physical craving or habit, however great your desire or inclination, there is victory for you in Christ. Heaven's power is available for you today. Our Lord may not take your craving or "taste" away immediately, but if you trust Him, relying on His promises, He will give you the victory.
Would you like to choose today to surrender your body as a temple for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, and to place into your body only those things which will improve your health and strength, and give glory to God?
FOR FURTHER STUDY
God promises to give us supernatural power to overcome our unhealthful practices.
- "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13).
- God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted above what you can handle (1 Corinthians 10:13)
- As we come to Hs throne kneeling before His we find find grace to help in times of need (Hebrews 4:15–16)
- In Christ we are new creatures (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- In Jesus the bondage of evil habits is broken (Romans 8:14,15)
- Through Jesus nothing is impossible (Matthew 17:20, Matthew 19:26)
- Through faith in Jesus power, victory is certain (1 John 5:4)