The Bible tells us about a judgment that has three stages: 1. The pre-advent judgment, 2. the 1000 year judgment and 3. the executive judgment when sin is destroyed forever. The Bible also tells us clearly how humanity may be found righteous and pure during the process of this judgment.
01. To require a judgment there must be parties that are in conflict. Which parties are in conflict that require a worldwide judgment?
7 Then there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon and his angels.
8 And the dragon lost the battle, and he and his angels were forced out of heaven.
9 This great dragon—the ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, the one deceiving the whole world—was thrown down to the earth with all his angels.
02. Who is going to be concerned with this judgment process?
1 Corinthians 4:9
Instead, I sometimes think God has put us apostles on display, like prisoners of war at the end of a victor’s parade, condemned to die. We have become a spectacle to the entire world—to people and angels alike.
03. What is God trying to achieve through this judgment process?
19 For God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ,
20 and through him God reconciled everything to himself. He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of Christ’s blood on the cross.
04. When does the first stage of the judgment (i.e. the pre-advent judgment) begin?
6 And I saw another angel flying through the sky, carrying the eternal Good News to proclaim to the people who belong to this world—to every nation, tribe, language, and people.
7 “Fear God,” he shouted. “Give glory to him. For the time has come when he will sit as judge. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and all the springs of water.”
05. Where does the pre-advent judgment take place?
9 I watched as thrones were put in place and the Ancient One sat down to judge. His clothing was as white as snow, his hair like purest wool. He sat on a fiery throne with wheels of blazing fire,
10 and a river of fire was pouring out, flowing from his presence. Millions of angels ministered to him; many millions stood to attend him. Then the court began its session, and the books were opened.
06. (Part 1) When does the pre-advent judgment conclude?
A male and female of each kind entered, just as God had commanded Noah. Then the LORD closed the door behind them.
07. (Part 2) When does the pre-advent judgment conclude?
37 “When the Son of Man returns, it will be like it was in Noah’s day.
38 In those days before the flood, the people were enjoying banquets and parties and weddings right up to the time Noah entered his boat.
39 People didn’t realize what was going to happen until the flood came and swept them all away. That is the way it will be when the Son of Man comes.
08. Will there be any chance for salvation after probation closes?
Let the one who is doing harm continue to do harm; let the one who is vile continue to be vile; let the one who is righteous continue to live righteously; let the one who is holy continue to be holy.”
09. (Part 1) What other event shows that the first judgment stage must conclude before Jesus comes again?
Look, I am coming soon, bringing my reward with me to repay all people according to their deeds.
10. (Part 2) What other event shows that the first judgment stage must conclude before Jesus comes again?
For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds.
11. Physically, where are those who have died in Christ prior to Jesus return?
28 Don’t be so surprised! Indeed, the time is coming when all the dead in their graves will hear the voice of God’s Son,
29 and they will rise again. Those who have done good will rise to experience eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to experience judgment.
12. How many virtual 'groups' of people are there at Jesus return?
1 Thessalonians 4:15-17
15 We tell you this directly from the Lord: We who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died.
16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, the believers who have died will rise from their graves.
17 Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever.
13. What happens to the 'righteous group' of resurrected and saved people after Jesus return?
4 Then I saw thrones, and the people sitting on them had been given the authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony about Jesus and for proclaiming the word of God. They had not worshipped the beast or his statue, nor accepted his mark on their forehead or their hands. They all came to life again, and they reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. For them the second death holds no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him a thousand years.
14. What did Paul say about his own future as he neared the end of his ministry?
2 Timothy 4:6-8
6 As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near.
7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.
8 And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing.
15. What did Jesus tell his disciples that those who believe in Him can look forward to?
1 “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me.
2 There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?
3 When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.
16. (Part 1) What will the people of God be doing in heaven for the 1000 years of stage 2 of the judgement?
Then I saw thrones, and the people sitting on them had been given the authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony about Jesus and for proclaiming the word of God. They had not worshipped the beast or his statue, nor accepted his mark on their forehead or their hands. They all came to life again, and they reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
17. (Part 2) What will the people of God be doing in heaven for the 1000 years of stage 2 of the judgement?
11 And I saw a great white throne and the one sitting on it. The earth and sky fled from his presence, but they found no place to hide.
12 I saw the dead, both great and small, standing before God’s throne. And the books were opened, including the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to what they had done, as recorded in the books.
18. What did Paul say the people of God be doing in heaven for the 1000 years of stage 2 of the judgement?
1 Corinthians 6:1-3
1 When one of you has a dispute with another believer, how dare you file a lawsuit and ask a secular court to decide the matter instead of taking it to other believers!
2 Don’t you realise that someday we believers will judge the world? And since you are going to judge the world, can’t you decide even these little things among yourselves?
3 Don’t you realise that we will judge angels? So you should surely be able to resolve ordinary disputes in this life.
19. (Part 1) What will happen at the end of the 1000 years (stage 3 of the judgement)?
The sea gave up its dead, and death and the grave gave up their dead. And all were judged according to their deeds.
20. (Part 2) What will happen at the end of the 1000 years (stage 3 of the judgement)?
7 When the thousand years come to an end, Satan will be let out of his prison.
8 He will go out to deceive the nations—called Gog and Magog—in every corner of the earth. He will gather them together for battle—a mighty army, as numberless as sand along the seashore.
9 And I saw them as they went up on the broad plain of the earth and surrounded God’s people and the beloved city. But fire from heaven came down on the attacking armies and consumed them.
21. (Part 3) What will happen at the end of the 1000 years (stage 3 of the judgement)?
“But cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral, those who practice witchcraft, idol worshippers, and all liars--their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulphur. This is the second death.”
22. (Part 4) What will happen at the end of the 1000 years (stage 3 of the judgement)?
14 Then death and the grave were thrown into the lake of fire. This lake of fire is the second death.
15 And anyone whose name was not found recorded in the Book of Life was thrown into the lake of fire.
23. (Part 5) What will happen at the end of the 1000 years (stage 3 of the judgement)?
1 Corinthians 15:26
And the last enemy to be destroyed is death.
24. How did the universe respond to the final destruction of sin from the world?
12 And they sang in a mighty chorus: Worthy is the Lamb who was slaughtered - to receive power and riches and wisdom and strength and honour and glory and blessing.”
13 And then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea. They sang: “Blessing and honour and glory and power belong to the one sitting on the throne and to the Lamb forever and ever.”
25. What great act did God then do?
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone.
26. After God re-created the new heavens and earth, where does He then reside Himself?
3 I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, “Look, God’s home is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them.
4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.”